Here are the FNV Staff picks for the MHSAA Football playoffs for Divisions 5-8. Let us know what you think in the comments sections down below.
We posted this back before the playoffs. Let’s see how we are doing.
- Final Four :Everest Collegiate, Centreville, Unionville-Sebewaing, Beal City
- Sleeper: Detroit Southeastern-the Jungaleers have an elite QB and a possible recipe capable of beating the elite teams in D8.
- Champion: Beal City-the Aggies last won a state title in 2009 and have a good nucleaus returning from last year’s team which fell to Reading in the title game last season.
- Final Four: Johannesburg-Lewiston, Ubly, Centreville, Everest Collegiate
- Sleeper: Hudson-The Tigers play in a tough league with bigger schools.
- Champion: Centreville-D8 has 5 teams, in my opinion, that all have an equal shot at winning it. Ask 5 different people and you might get 5 different answers. Only 2 of those will make it out of a Regional.
- Final Four: Clarkston Everest, Addison, Iron Mountain, Flint Beecher
- Sleeper: West Iron County- The Wykons went 6-0 without a lot of fanfare.
- Champion: Clarkston Everest. The Mountaineers have shown that they are on another planet after throttling Riverview Gabriel Richard in the Catholic League Championship.
- Final Four: Schoolcraft, New Lothrop, Cass City, McBain
- Sleeper: SMCC-tough to call the defending D6 champions a sleeper, but this year has been a total rebuild for the Falcons.
- Champion: Schoolcraft-Elite QB separates the Eagles from a field of 10 or more capable of winning the title.
- Final Four: Traverse City St. Francis, Pewamo-Westphalia, New Lothrop, Schoolcraft
- Sleeper: Jackson Lumen Christi-Hard to believe the Titans would be a sleeper but at 2-4, they qualify.
- Champion: Schoolcraft-I could have gone with a few teams here but the Eagles have it all and are extremely balanced. Will be on the road in the Regional.
- Final Four: New Lothrop, Schoolcraft, Ithaca, Traverse City St. Francis
- Sleeper: Riverview Gabriel Richard-The Pioneers have the talent, but can they get over getting thumped by Clarkston Everest in the Catholic League Championship?
- Champion: Ithaca. The Yellow Jackets are on a revenge tour after getting bounced in Round 1 last season.
- Final Four: Michigan Collegiate, Jonesville, Montague, Glen Lake
- Sleeper: Sanford Meridian- it would most likely take a miracle for the Mustangs to emerge from the district, but if they do, watch out.
- Champion: Montague-if the Wildcats can get out of a tough district, they should be the favorites in D6.
- Final Four: Menominee, Montague, Constantine, Erie-Mason
- Sleeper: Glen Lake- With the loss of Head Coach, still making waves. Will be a tough out.
- Champion: Montague-True blue blood in Division 6. Battle-tested. Been my #1 all year long, not going to change now. Excluding the Finals, toughest games might be in round 2 or 3.
- Final Four: Maple City Glen Lake, Muskegon Catholic Central, Constantine, Blissfield
- Sleeper: Jonesville-The Comets dethroned Reading in the Big 8, and their only loss was to Division 4 power Edwardsburg
- Champion: Muskegon Catholic Central. Defense wins championships, and the Crusaders have only allowed a scant 18 points all season.
- Final Four: Kingsley, Grand Rapids Catholic Central, Lansing Catholic, Frankenmuth
- Sleeper: Muskegon Oakridge-the Eagles have lost to Whitehall and Montague. Those teams could very well win State titles this year.
- Champion: Grand Rapids Catholic Central-the Cougars are the favorites, but unlike last year, this is no cakewalk. In my opinion, 5 of the top 10 teams in D5 are in their district.
- Final Four: Reed City, Grand Rapids Catholic Central, Lansing Catholic, Frankenmuth
- Sleeper: Grosse Ile-The Red Devils can win their district. Things get tougher from there but strange things can happen.
- Champion: Grand Rapids Catholic Central-Some consider the Cougars a top 10 team in the entire state. D5 should be no problem, right?
- Final Four: Grand Rapids Catholic Central, Lansing Catholic, Frankenmuth, Kingsley
- Sleeper: Kalamazoo Hackett-I’ve kind of been driving the Fighting Irish bus all season, as they have been in my top ten regularly
- Champion: Grand Rapids Catholic Central. The Cougars return a boatload of talent from last year’s team that won it all in Division 4. Need I say more?